F21 System Wide Change: Remove python-setuptools-devel

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 15:26:52 UTC 2014

= Proposed System Wide Change: Remove python-setuptools-devel =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_Python-setuptools-devel

Change owner(s): Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at fedoraproject.org>

The python-setuptools package has carried a virtual Provide for python-
setuptools-devel since 2009 for backwards compatibility. We're going to remove
this virtual Provide. Packages which still BuildRequire python-setuptools-
devel will need to be updated to Require: python-setuptools instead.

== Detailed description ==
In November of 2009, in time for Fedora 13, we solved a packaging issue in the
main python package that allowed us to remove a split in our python-setuptools
package. Instead of needing a separate python-setuptools-devel subpackage for
easy_install the python-setuptools package could now contain all of the
functionality of python-setuptools. To ease with package migration we added an
Obsoletes and Provides tag to the python-setuptools package at that time so
that packages, kickstarts, etc which required python-setuptools-devel would
not break.

Fast forward to the present day:

It's December of 2013. Rawhide is Fedora 21. I'd like to drop the backwards
compatibility Provides (and Obsoletes) from the python-setuptools package.
However, there are currently 151 packages BuildRequire'ing python-setuptools-
devel. This Change exists to make people aware that they need to update their
packages.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Remove the Provides: and Obsoletes: python-setuptools-devel
in the python-setuptools package and rebuild. This will take approximately 30
minutes.

* Other developers: Owners of packagers that BuildRequire: python-setuptools-
devel need to change to BuildRequire: python-setuptools and rebuild.
Individually, this takes approximately 30 minutes per package (but largely
waiting on builds to finish successfully). There are approximately 151 packages
in the

* Release engineering: No action needed by rel-eng. Until other developers
update their BuildRequires, their packages would fail to rebuild in a mass
rebuild.

* Policies and guidelines: No action needed. The packaging guidelines have
already been changed to use BuildRequires: python-setuptools rather than
python-setuptools-devel.