F21 System Wide Change: System-wide crypto policy

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 17:49:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 10:12 -0700, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> > == Detailed Description ==
> > The idea is to have some predefined security levels such as LEVEL-80,
> > LEVEL-128, LEVEL-256,
> > or ENISA-LEGACY, ENISA-FUTURE, SUITEB-128, SUITEB-256. These will be the
> > security levels
> > that the administrator of the system will be able to configure by modifying
> > /usr/lib/crypto-profiles/config
> > /etc/crypto-profiles/config
> How much of the system will break if the administrator does something
> silly like setting LEVEL-256?

Probably a lot, but I don't think we protect from someone doing rm -fr /
either :)

> For reference, there isn't a well-established, widely accepted
> symmetric cipher with 256-bit security.  AES-256 is weak [1] and
> should probably not be used at all, let alone by anyone who wants a
> 256-bit security level.

AES-128 is broken too:
http://www.kuleuven.be/english/newsletter/newsflash/encryption_standard.html

(in short it provides 126-bit security instead of 128).

_However_, this and the attacks your describe on AES-256 don't matter
for practical purposes. Schneier explains in the blog you quote, but I
recap:

1. Related key attacks are nice for publishing papers, but they have
almost no practical relevance (AES or any other modern cipher isn't
designed to resist related key attacks).
2. Attacking on reduced round variants of ciphers, doesn't matter either
except for academics and for getting the future trend of security of the
cipher. We use the full-round variants that resist the published
attacks.
3. Breaking a cipher in the academic term means finding an attack that
is faster than brute force. The brute force level of AES-256 is terribly
high so "breaking" AES-256 in 2^245 steps is still very reassuring.

> access to those sites?  What about disallowing use of CA certificates
> that use SHA-1?  (Oops, there goes the Internet.)

We have to document that, but there will be always ways to shoot
someones foot. There are legitimate uses of increasing a security level
(if one for example sets up machines to be used in a LAN).

> If someone sets SUITEB-whatever, is Curve25519 acceptable?

SuiteB only allows two curves. SECP256 and SECP384 if I remember well.

> How many people even know what an ENISA algorithm is?  (I don't.)

ENISA is not an algorithm. It is the "European Union Agency for Network
and Information Security" and they have some papers proposing various
security levels, similarly to NIST. https://www.enisa.europa.eu/

> Alternatively, a systemwide setting like "avoid modp groups below X
> bits" could make sense.  Far too many things 1024-bit modp groups.
> This includes *SSH* until very recently.  Having a single switch to
> turn that cr*p off would be very useful, although it might imply a lot
> of patches.

That's the idea.

regards,
Nikos