default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 27 20:07:02 UTC 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:22 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 5:43 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> Question for the cloud folks:
>>
>> I realize that XFS is a difficult pill to swallow for /boot, due to
>> your use of syslinux instead of GRUB2. If the Server and Workstation
>> groups decide to settle on both using XFS-on-LVM for the main
>> partitions, we could *probably* also compromise on using ext4 for just
>> /boot.
>
> I don't think Cloud will use Anaconda UI, instead they use pre-built images or kickstart and thus stick with plain ext4. If that remains the case, then Server can still go with XFS on LVM.
>

>> Directed more broadly at all three products:
>>
>> Formal proposal (for discussion): All three products agree to use ext4
>> for /boot and XFS-on-LVM for all other partitions in the "guided"
>> mode.
>
> Discussion by WG members should include whether there should be an alternate, or only the default. Currently the guided UI has four choices.
>
> If yes to alternate option (rather than removing the Partition Scheme pop-up altogether), here are several possibilities that make sense to me, variations are possible. The default is listed first, the alternate second.
>
> "Existing default, new option for Server"
>
> SERVER                                  WORKSTATION
> ext4 /boot, LVM+ext4                    same
> ext4 /boot, LVM+XFS                     plain ext4
>

> "Existing default, new option for server and NextNewThing for Workstation"
>
> SERVER                                  WORKSTATION
> ext4 /boot, LVM+ext4                    same
> ext4 /boot, LVM+XFS                     Btrfs
>

> "Conservative default, NextNewThing for Server & Workstation"
>
> SERVER                                  WORKSTATION
> ext4 /boot, LVM+XFS                     same
> ext4 /boot, LVMthinp+XFS                Btrfs
>

> "Conservative default and alternate"
>
> SERVER                                  WORKSTATION
> ext4 /boot, LVM+XFS                     same
> plain XFS*                              plain ext4
>

> "Better for Server, Easier for new/Windows/OS X users"
>
> SERVER                                  WORKSTATION
> ext4 /boot, LVM+XFS                     plain ext4
> ext4 /boot, LVMthinp+XFS                no alternate appears
>

> *GRUB2 has no problem directly booting from XFS for some time now, but probably we'd continue to put /boot on ext4 in all plain partition configurations.
>
> Also this guided UI permits the selection of multiple devices. So the WG's might consider how/when to discuss that, if it's a good idea. Today if 2+ devices are chosen, the LVM default creates linear LV's that span the multiple disk VG. For btrfs, the chosen devices are put in a raid0. There is no UI to indicate this, it just happens.

http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2014-02-27/fedora-meeting-1.2014-02-27-15.00.log.html

OK super, pretty much all Server WG questions are answered. That was easy. Summary is they are going to go with XFS on LVM. LVM vs LVM thinp is to be determined. And they only want this one option for the guided path (i.e. sounds like Partition Scheme pop-up goes away).

For Workstation WG it can be the same thing too. Or optionally pick an alternate: plain partition (probably ext4), or Btrfs.

Chris Murphy