default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

James Wilson Harshaw IV jwharshaw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 04:53:14 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 11:20 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> by default we put ext4 on LVM
>> The tool works in this use-case unless something has broken it recently.
> It can be done, the convert tool should work, and Btrfs should work on any device mapper instance. However…
>
> In the context of the default ext4+LVM layout the conversion still means separate /boot, /, and /home file systems. A major benefit of the Btrfs layout is these are subvolumes, which instead draw space from one volume pool. And that's lost with a conversion strategy. It also means going from a Fedora "standard" layout to a distinctly non-standard one because our Btrfs layout isn't like the result you'd get from what you're talking about.
>

> Chris Murphy

        A question I have, forgive me if it seems stupid, is why not
        just change the standard? From what I have seen is that btrfs is
        superior to ext4 as even Theodore T'so (creator of ext4) said
        btrfs "offers improvements in scalability, reliability, and ease
        of management". I feel that eventually other filesystems may
        show to be better than ext4 and we probably will need to change
        the standards for the sake of quality. My fear is that we will
        be sacrificing quality for not having too change much.