default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

James Wilson Harshaw IV jwharshaw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 05:56:34 UTC 2014

On 02/28/2014 12:41 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 2/27/14, 10:53 PM, James Wilson Harshaw IV wrote:

>>> It can be done, the convert tool should work, and Btrfs should work on any device mapper instance. However…
>>>
>>> In the context of the default ext4+LVM layout the conversion still means separate /boot, /, and /home file systems. A major benefit of the Btrfs layout is these are subvolumes, which instead draw space from one volume pool. And that's lost with a conversion strategy. It also means going from a Fedora "standard" layout to a distinctly non-standard one because our Btrfs layout isn't like the result you'd get from what you're talking about.
>>>

>>> Chris Murphy
>> A question I have, forgive me if it seems stupid, is why not just
>> change the standard? From what I have seen is that btrfs is superior
>> to ext4 as even Theodore T'so (creator of ext4) said btrfs "offers
>> improvements in scalability, reliability, and ease of management".
> Yes, that is a thing on Wikipedia isn't it.  ;)  It's referring
> to a discussion held 5 years ago.

>> feel that eventually other filesystems may show to be better than
>> ext4 and we probably will need to change the standards for the sake
>> of quality. My fear is that we will be sacrificing quality for not
>> having too change much.
> I'll see your 5-year-old quote from the ext4 maintainer, and raise
> you a 1-day-old quote from a btrfs maintainer:
>
> "Just popping in here to say that btrfs is not ready to be default in
> Fedora yet. Optional is fine but not default. Thanks,
> Josef."
>
> If and when btrfs becomes a superior solution, I'm sure Fedora
> will be eager to ship it.
>
> -Eric

Yet what was the main point that it wasn't ready yet? My point is we
should choose the best solution, even if it takes a little more work to
get it up and running. I want to know what it will take to make sure
btrfs is good to go as default and then see if the end result will out
weigh the effort put in.

-James