lvresize and XFS, was: default file system

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Fri Feb 28 08:33:18 UTC 2014

Dne 28.2.2014 00:02, Eric Sandeen napsal(a):
> On 2/27/14, 4:40 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> Where you growing or shrinking the fs, and was it mounted at the time, and what error did you get? XFS doesn't support shrink, and only can be grown online. I'm pretty sure lvresize -r supports xfs_growfs via fsadm.
>>
>> worksforme
>>
>> Starting with a 10TB XFS volume, 5TB x 5 disk VG.
>>

>> # lvresize -r -v --size 15T VG/LV
>>      Finding volume group VG
>>      Executing: fsadm --verbose check /dev/VG/LV
>> fsadm: "xfs" filesystem found on "/dev/mapper/VG-LV"
>> fsadm: Skipping filesystem check for device "/dev/mapper/VG-LV" as the filesystem is mounted on /mnt
>>      fsadm failed: 3
>
> <snip>
>
>> However, I don't know what "fsadm failed: 3" means.
>
> fsadm.sh:
>
>          if detect_mounted ; then
>                  verbose "Skipping filesystem check for device \"$VOLUME\" as the filesystem is mounted on $MOUNTED";
>                  cleanup 3
>          fi

> cleanup() {
>          exit ${1:-1}
> }
>
> the script exits with error "3" meaning, well, "3," I guess, when the fs is mounted.  Not the nicest error reporting IMHO :)

man fsadm

DIAGNOSTICS
        On  successful completion, the status code is 0.  A status code of 2
indicates the operation was interrupted by the user.  A
        status code of 3 indicates the requested check operation could not be
performed because the filesystem is mounted  and  does
        not support an online fsck(8).  A status code of 1 is used for other
failures.

Zdenek