dnf versus yum

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 19:09:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>wrote:

> look like it starts to happen again: a replacement which is not ready
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444565.html
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444563.html
>
> please realize that a drop-in replacement *first* needs to be *really*
> drop-in and not "somehow like", otherwise all the things you may make
> better are worthless
>
> and yes "yum remove kernel" is a *minimum* to handeled properly
>
> there are people maintaining RHEL5,RHEL6,RHEL7 and Fedora machines
> guess how abused they are if they have completly different behavior
> because dveleopers tend to call anything they don't like to implement
> a "border case"

Reindl makes a very good case here against the adoption. The last thing we
want is to cause confusion in the community. It may be very wise to wait
and give the community more time to absorb dnf. I confess that it would be
a learning curve for me to use this command: I could imagine the headaches
it would bring others with much more pressing deadlines.

my 2 cents,

Richard