dnf versus yum

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Thu Jan 2 19:36:08 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 02:25 PM, Dan Mashal wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Richard Vickery
> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> wrote:
>>> look like it starts to happen again: a replacement which is not ready
>>>
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444565.html
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444563.html
>>>
>>> please realize that a drop-in replacement *first* needs to be *really*
>>> drop-in and not "somehow like", otherwise all the things you may make
>>> better are worthless
>>>
>>> and yes "yum remove kernel" is a *minimum* to handeled properly
>>>
>>> there are people maintaining RHEL5,RHEL6,RHEL7 and Fedora machines
>>> guess how abused they are if they have completly different behavior
>>> because dveleopers tend to call anything they don't like to implement
>>> a "border case"
>>>

>> Reindl makes a very good case here against the adoption. The last thing we
>> want is to cause confusion in the community. It may be very wise to wait and
>> give the community more time to absorb dnf. I confess that it would be a
>> learning curve for me to use this command: I could imagine the headaches it
>> would bring others with much more pressing deadlines.
>>
>> my 2 cents,
> I don't understand what the learning curve is? It works exactly the
> same as yum. Typing 'dnf' instead of 'yum' is a learning curve?
>
> I'm confused.
>
> Dan
If is a drop in replacement for yum - then why not call it yum, then there is "no" learning curve.

Also at least yum stood for something - Yellowdog Updater, Modified - as opposed to being some
nonsensical conglomeration of letters. The only thing I am aware of that dnf means is "did not finish".

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com