dnf versus yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 2 20:14:12 UTC 2014

Am 02.01.2014 20:25, schrieb Dan Mashal:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Richard Vickery
> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> look like it starts to happen again: a replacement which is not ready
>>>
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444565.html
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444563.html
>>>
>>> please realize that a drop-in replacement *first* needs to be *really*
>>> drop-in and not "somehow like", otherwise all the things you may make
>>> better are worthless
>>>
>>> and yes "yum remove kernel" is a *minimum* to handeled properly
>>>
>>> there are people maintaining RHEL5,RHEL6,RHEL7 and Fedora machines
>>> guess how abused they are if they have completly different behavior
>>> because dveleopers tend to call anything they don't like to implement
>>> a "border case"
>>>

>> Reindl makes a very good case here against the adoption. The last thing we
>> want is to cause confusion in the community. It may be very wise to wait and
>> give the community more time to absorb dnf. I confess that it would be a
>> learning curve for me to use this command: I could imagine the headaches it
>> would bring others with much more pressing deadlines.
>
> I don't understand what the learning curve is? It works exactly the
> same as yum. Typing 'dnf' instead of 'yum' is a learning curve?
>
> I'm confused

Richard Hughes: It's not a drop-in replacement

>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444565.html
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444563.html

the bahvior is obviously not (or *not yet*) identical and the viewpoint
what are not often used bordercases may vary and depend on the environment
as i pointed out "yum -y remove kernel" is a regular task here after machines
are running long enough with the last recent one as cleanup

and because that and beause there are voices saying DNF will probably
replace YUM with Fedora 22 are the reason i started this thread to make
aware that this may be a critical change

someone may say: Fedora 22 is far away - not entirely true because F21
will be released most likely this summer and if the 6 months release
cycle holds F22 end 2014 or at least at the begin of 2015

so the only thing i wanted to point out is: please be careful with decisions
expierience shows if decisions happened they are not reverted, so it needs
take care *before* and if DNF replaces YUM later (F23, F24, F25) it could
be a valid option to rename it back to YUM and make a real drop-in replace
without any harm