dnf versus yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 2 22:21:21 UTC 2014

Am 02.01.2014 23:09, schrieb Martin Langhoff:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> This one is clearly one of those "doomed to repeat history" things in
>> motion.
>
> It seems to me that dbf has to strike an impossible balance.

not necessarily

> Asking that dnf supports every yum behavior would negate the benefit
> of having dnf, which is to break from the heavy corset of backwards
> compat yum wears.

with my software-developer hat on the opposite is true

* many features are grown in a organic way
* many of the codebase was not designed for them
* a rewrite with a new codebase has or should have a different, optimized internal architecture
* with starting the rewrite you have the one-time chance avoid many of the organic growing

> So the dev team has to pick and choose. Not an easy spot to be in.
> Perhaps some civility would help. Remember: every feature has a vocal
> fan, but if they appease you and all the others, we're back to where
> we started -- yum

no, clearly no

the target of a rewrite should be support all the over years grown features
but avoid the design mistakes that made some of them a bad hack in the past

starting with cut off features and later add them with hacks clearly
brings you back from where you came

that is why a rewrite starting by throwing all away instead look what you have
and need to support instead adjust your software-design from the first line by
knowing all these things by learning from the past is the wrong start and
will end in circles where are you after some time at the same point you started
from

in case of a really good software-design you drop in and out core and
plugins without taking notice from the enduser view because all parts
are working with API's - that should be the goal of a rewrite