dnf versus yum

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 22:29:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> with my software-developer hat on the opposite is true

I discussed yum internals quite a bit with Seth in past years. Every
change I proposed met a wall of backwards compatibility. Turns out
that there are many very specific corner cases, and yum has it on its
shoulders to not mess with them.

AIUI, the yum team has refactored quite a bit in place, and that's
what you seem to be referring to.

dnf is a chance to drop some of that backwards compat and move
forward. Users (usually corporate) that have a rigid need of the old
behavior can continue to use yum for as it is maintained; and it is
likely that RH would keep it maintained for a long time.

I expect yum to continue to live as the backwards compat tool, even as
dnf takes center stage.

Please respect that others may have knowledge and experience that you
don't, you are coming across as rather argumentative.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff