dnf versus yum

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Fri Jan 3 00:06:18 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 04:36 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM, yersinia <yersinia.spiros at gmail.com
> <mailto:yersinia.spiros at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      >5 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com <mailto:pomidorabelisima at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > On 02.01.2014 20:36, Steve Clark wrote:
>      >
>      >> Also at least yum stood for something - Yellowdog Updater, Modified - as opposed to being some
>      >> nonsensical conglomeration of letters. The only thing I am aware of that dnf means is "did
>     not finish".
>      >
>      > Did Not Finish
>      > Do Not Forget
>      >   <..snip..>

>      >
>      > poma
>
>     I do not think it is nice to speak so bad about a project. The
>     objective are clear,if something can be improved everyone can or  must
>     contribute.The criticisms are useless.We are talking about open source
>     software, do not forget.
>
>     Best regards
>     >

> On the contrary: speaking negatively about a project may be fine so long as the context is clearly
> about such project, as it is only the project that is being harshly criticised. Where a problem
> often occurs is  when such criticism crosses over into affecting an individual.

 From the fedoraproject.org wiki:
   "Note about the name "DNF": it has no relevant meaning, meant as a project name only"
It seems rather unfortunate that as a random collection of letters, DNF
currently has primarily negative connotations:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNF
   http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DNF
   https://www.google.com/#q=dnf

As a runner, DNF already has a specific meaning for me.
If you're picking random letters for a project to avoid
existing collisions, you might also consider tossing the
set back into the bag they have a well-established meaning
in other domains.  Just saying - it might do well to change
the name to something with positive or at least neutral
collateral meaning.  "yum" probably had some positive benefits
in this regard.

Cheers, -Bob Arendt