dnf versus yum

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:18:52 UTC 2014

On 03.01.2014 01:06, Bob Arendt wrote:

> As a runner, DNF already has a specific meaning for me.
> If you're picking random letters for a project to avoid
> existing collisions, you might also consider tossing the
> set back into the bag they have a well-established meaning
> in other domains.  Just saying - it might do well to change
> the name to something with positive or at least neutral
> collateral meaning.  "yum" probably had some positive benefits
> in this regard.

"Yum" has sentimental value and is practically a trademark, so
1. yuma - Yellowdog Updater, Modified Again
2. yum2 - Yellowdog Updater, Modified II
3. yumrelo - Yellowdog Updater, Modified Reloaded
6. yum-ng - Yellowdog Updater, Modified NG (Next Generation)
5. yum-ak - Yellowdog Updater, Modified AK (Ales Kozumplik)
4. yum-novus - Yellowdog Updater, Modified New
7. yummy - Yellowdog Updater, Modified My

poma