dnf versus yum

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 3 02:05:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

To me, this is the real showstopper:
http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html#keepcache-configuration-option-dropped
(By the way, how does PackageKit-hawkey behave there?)

The keepcache=0 default in Fedora is IMHO a CRITICAL DATA LOSS BUG and I
ALWAYS change that broken default to 1 on my machines. This ensures that if
an update is broken, I can always revert to the previous update that I still
have cached, not only to the ancient version from GA that might not even
install anymore, and that also has many bugs and security issues! Especially
considering that Fedora does not keep previous updates on its mirrors, it is
TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE to delete the cache by default, and EVEN MORE
UNACCEPTABLE to remove the keepcache option entirely!

I actually don't understand why anyone would actually want to have
keepcache=0!

I also think that:
http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html#clean-requirements-on-remove-on-by-default
is a very bad idea (the depsolver shouldn't be removing things that I
neither asked to be removed nor strictly have to be removed for dependency
reasons when removing the things I actually asked to be removed), but at
least that option is still there.

        Kevin Kofler