Fedora 20 release day FedUp bug: post-mortem

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 3 05:46:14 UTC 2014

Am 03.01.2014 06:18, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 02:22 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> That leads us to the question of why we don't simply endorse the direct yum
>> (or dnf) method, which people do understand…
>
> Only if you like asking and answering the same question twenty times,
> which we know you do, Kevin. The answer that was given the last 19 times
> is still valid: because /usrmove, and because grub->grub2, and because
> other things that cannot be handled via a yum upgrade

says who?

not a single of my physical as well as virtual machines did see anaconda,
preupgrade or fedup a single time, most of them where installed 2009 with
F9, the newest setup started with F14 and they are all on F18/F19/F20 upgraded
with yum

at this time 37 Fedora installations, 8 physical and 29 VM's

> It doesn't really work to tell people 'you can yum upgrade with 13 and
> 14 and 15 but NOT 16 and 17 but NOT 18 and 19 and 20 and 21 but NOT 22

what are you talking about?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_from_EOL_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_15_-.3E_Fedora_16

if someone can read the instructions are working fine and as long there
are no completly wrong decisions in the future now that even GRUB2, UsrMove
and the migration to systemd is done (all with yum) nothing should change
here - so if you somewhere in the future need "to tell people" something
went terrible wrong

the typical recommendation "better install from scratch" makes much more
headache than a dist-upgrade with yum, especially since i faced the new
Anaconda on RHEL7-Beta1 and was unable to format 5 disks and assign
mountpoints until i gave up and changed that after the setup - not to
say that nobody knows how you setup RAID10 for rootfs and a data-partition

*that* are the real problems Fedora has because most of my troubles always
was the installer and it even went worse as in the past years