dnf versus yum

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Jan 4 10:20:30 UTC 2014

On 01/04/2014 11:50 AM, Mattia Verga wrote:
> This is the first time I heard of DNF.
> Looking at the page where differences between DNF and yum are explained
> (http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html) my question is: do we
> really need DNF to replace yum?

> Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that DNF is no more than yum with
> some different standard behavior and a couple of new command line
> options. So why replace yum? If those changes are good why simply don't
> change standard options in yum or add those new commands to yum?

That document, as the name implies, explains the current differences in
*cli* behavior to yum, as in "things that might cause surprises for
long-time yum users". Dnf doesn't exist to tinker with some cli
differences just for the heck of it, the main reasons and goals have to
do with the underlying depsolving engine and API, see eg

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DNF#Detailed_Description
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/444874.html

This and the other thread on fedora-users does make it clear that
background and goals of dnf needs to be more clearly communicated though.

	- Panu -