dnf versus yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 5 22:37:52 UTC 2014

Am 05.01.2014 23:33, schrieb Chris Adams:
> Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
>> i say the same thing to the autopager and cutted output of
>> systemctl and journalctl and the repsonse there is "we are
>> not Unix, we are Linux"
>
> Yeah, I dislike that as well.  If I want paged output, I'll page it; if
> I want cut output, I'll cut it.  The "helpful" options added to the
> $PAGER variable are really stupid as well; I have to set $SYSTEMD_PAGER
> as well as $PAGER, just to override systemd's "help".

agreed

but realize the lernel is a very special package
following your argumentation it would be handeled as any other
apckage and you would have not way to boot the old one if
boot fails after a update

>> following your argumentation this should be removed too?
>>
>> [root at honeypot:~]$ rm -rf /
>> rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on `/'
>> rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe
>
> I didn't know that was there (not in the habit of running "rm -rf /"
> just to see what happens).  I really can't think of a situation where
> "rm -rf /" would be useful, so I don't really care one way or the other
> about that one

where it would be useful?
nowhere - press enter by accident while typing a command

where would it be useful to uninstall base-package and YUM/DNF itself
bringing your system in a non-recoverable state?