Grub installation. First potential Fedora killer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 06:52:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 23:32 +0100, Jean François Martinez wrote:
> I have a nice booter setup and a nice _main_ Linux installation.  Last
> thing I would want is a distribution I am _testing_, that is Fedora 20
> forces on me it will be my main installation and forces me to choose
> between installing Grub on the MBR or not at all.

Why? "Not at all" is precisely the correct action for a grub2-based
distribution in this case.

I think we should do grub2-mkconfig for such installs, though it's a bit
tricky to refactor anaconda's bootloader install code to do so. I might
have a shot at it if I get a spare minute, though.

But yes, aside from not generating a grub2.cfg for you, this is
precisely the right thing to do. If you don't want Fedora to own the
MBR, then you should not install a bootloader during installation. You
should install no bootloader, and then use grub2 configfile inclusion to
boot Fedora. See
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Multi_002dboot-manual-config.html .

> In addition it didn't detect my other Linux installation so at first
> boot I was only able to choose between Fedora 20 and Fedora 20.

What is your 'other Linux installation'? It's not like we can do
anything if you don't even say that. (But we don't really do anything
special for multi-boot configuration; we let grub do it, via os-prober.
If it didn't find your other installers, it sounds like there's a bug in
grub.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey