Grub installation. First potential Fedora killer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 07:04:10 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 22:52 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 23:32 +0100, Jean François Martinez wrote:
> > I have a nice booter setup and a nice _main_ Linux installation.  Last
> > thing I would want is a distribution I am _testing_, that is Fedora 20
> > forces on me it will be my main installation and forces me to choose
> > between installing Grub on the MBR or not at all.
>
> Why? "Not at all" is precisely the correct action for a grub2-based
> distribution in this case.
>
> I think we should do grub2-mkconfig for such installs, though it's a bit
> tricky to refactor anaconda's bootloader install code to do so. I might
> have a shot at it if I get a spare minute, though.

Well, hum, it doesn't look hard at all, in fact, at least a simple
version. See attached patch (untested, but what could possibly go
wrong?!). I'm not subscribed to anaconda-patches-list ATM, but CCing
anaconda-devel-list to see what the anaconda devs think. I think it's
reasonable to install a config file and device.map when 'skipping'
grub2-bios bootloader install, especially given our standing advice to
people who want to do chainload-style multi boot is "skip bootloader
installation then setup configfile booting after install".
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey