Taskotron (was: Re: Unannounced ABI change without soname bump in libevdev-0.6 in Rawhide (and F19 and F20...) breaks GNOME, probably other consumers)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 17:55:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:36:09AM -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> Kamil already covered this a bit but I wanted to add a few more details.
>
> One of the primary reasons for replacing AutoQA with taskotron is to
> make it easier for folks to contribute checks. AutoQA's implementation
> just isn't capable of doing that in a reasonable fashion. We haven't
> gotten into the specifics of how package-specific checks would work
> yet, but one idea was to keep them in the package's git repo.

I don't know if it will help, but if you want to take a quick look at
a libguestfs build, eg:

That took 11 *hours*.  The package itself took 20 minutes to build.
The tests took the rest of the time.

FYI here is the test log:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/libguestfs/1.24.4/1.fc20/data/logs/x86_64/build.log

Of course having the package take 11 hours to build [that's unusual,
it's usually a bit quicker than that, but it's always hours] is not
good for anyone, us, Koji, rebuilders, remixers ...  But it's useful
because the test suite is very thorough and catches many bugs in the
kernel, qemu and filesystem tools.

If we can move the tests off to another system, *especially* if that
other system is baremetal (because the tests run much faster on
baremetal than on top of virt), then that will help everyone, while
not compromising the vital coverage that the test suite gives Fedora.

[...]
> I'm planning to send some stuff out to devel@ for feedback in the near
> future once the next proof-of-concept system is up and running. I want
> to make sure that we're making something that'll be useful for
> packagers but I also don't want to be pestering devel@ too much :)

Will keep an eye out for it, thanks.

Rich.