Taskotron (was: Re: Unannounced ABI change without soname bump in libevdev-0.6 in Rawhide (and F19 and F20...) breaks GNOME, probably other consumers)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 18:15:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 11:04:39AM -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> I haven't given a whole lot of thought to how exactly we'll do package
> specific checks. Keeping the checks in the package's git repo is the
> first thing that comes to mind but I'm sure there other possible
> solutions. Either way, it falls pretty squarely into the category of
> "stuff to get feedback from devel@ about before implementing". We have
> a lot of work to do before we can start talking about implementation
> details for package specific tests and given the number of variables
> that we're looking at, I don't see much utility in discussing those
> specifics yet - who knows what will change by the time we started
> implementing the code to actually run the checks.

In hand-wavy terms there seem to be two cases:

 - Run tests per package that are { too long-running / require
   special conditions } to run in %check.

 - Run integration tests whenever one package from a set is rebuilt
   (eg. if ever any gnome-* package is rebuilt, run some gnome
   integration tests).

Of course the first is a subset of the second.  But the first could be
usefully kept in dist-git to make it super-easy for package
maintainers to change.

Rich.