The right way to git clone a subversion repo...

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 13:27:42 UTC 2014

I recently took over package maintenance for Audacity. So the first
thing I want to do is clone their development tree, create a branch from
the latest release and star tracking patches against it as needed. The
Audacity team uses Subversion, while I prefer Git, so I attempted to use
Git to clone their tree.

The problem is that it's been HOURS and Git hasn't finished cloning the
tree.

The steps I took are:

1. mkdir Audacity; cd Audacity
2. git svn init --prefix=origin/ -b branches -t tags -T trunk http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src
3. git svn fetch --log-window-size 10000

It's the third step which is taking forever to complete. I left it to
run overnight (10 hours) and it never finished. I paused it, came to
work, resumed it and it's still going.

Should this process really take this long? Or is there a faster, more
efficient way to do this? I know that part of what'll make it take so
long is the amount of history that has to be extracted from Subversion.
But is that many hours normal or did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.fedorapeople.org/