The right way to git clone a subversion repo...

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 14:12:08 UTC 2014

On 08/01/14 14:27, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> The problem is that it's been HOURS and Git hasn't finished cloning the
> tree.

> It's the third step which is taking forever to complete. I left it to
> run overnight (10 hours) and it never finished. I paused it, came to
> work, resumed it and it's still going.
>
> Should this process really take this long?

of course it shouldn't, considering the state of the SCM art.  but this
is SVN, so that is entirely expected.

> Or is there a faster, more
> efficient way to do this? I know that part of what'll make it take so
> long is the amount of history that has to be extracted from Subversion.
> But is that many hours normal or did I do something wrong?

perhaps you can prod upstream to migrate to something better.

btw if the clone is interrupted you can just continue with "git svn
fetch", so at least you don't have to start from scratch.

oh, and consider yourself lucky that the only SVN repo _only_ has 13k
commits and isn't just part of a single giant 100-project repo :)