The right way to git clone a subversion repo...

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:34:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 03:12:08PM +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 08/01/14 14:27, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>
> > The problem is that it's been HOURS and Git hasn't finished cloning the
> > tree.
>
> > It's the third step which is taking forever to complete. I left it to
> > run overnight (10 hours) and it never finished. I paused it, came to
> > work, resumed it and it's still going.
> >
> > Should this process really take this long?
>
> of course it shouldn't, considering the state of the SCM art.  but this
> is SVN, so that is entirely expected.

Thanks for confirming, somewhat, that I'm not _totally_ insane. :D

> > Or is there a faster, more
> > efficient way to do this? I know that part of what'll make it take so
> > long is the amount of history that has to be extracted from Subversion.
> > But is that many hours normal or did I do something wrong?
>
> perhaps you can prod upstream to migrate to something better.

I may broach the subject if I become a regular committer with them. I
can understand, though, why some projects stick with something like
Subversion. My own work project is Subversion based, but we have some
infrastructure in place to centrally maintain a git repo that updates
every 15 minutes or so.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.fedorapeople.org/