Taskotron (was: Re: Unannounced ABI change without soname bump in libevdev-0.6 in Rawhide (and F19 and F20...) breaks GNOME, probably other consumers)

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 16:12:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 02:14:43 -0500
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

> > Well, we'll want to do all sorts of tests that aren't obviously
> > tied to any specific package. The only kinds of tests it would make
> > sense to have in packages would be tests that are very tightly
> > associated with that package, but then we have a whole bunch of
> > other tests stored somewhere else, and why not just keep the
> > package-specific tests there too?
> >

> Well the advantage of keeping the package specific tests along with
> the package is that it provides more visible and is more readily
> accessible compared to tests that is stored somewhere else.  If the
> expectation is that QA is going to maintain them, former is fine but
> if you want package maintainers to be involved, then a tight
> association between the specs etc and tests would be a good thing

Sure, but the discussion wasn't around whether to keep any checks in
dist-git, it was modifying RPM so that all of the code for
package-specific checks is contained within the built RPM.

Support for package-specific checks is one of the use cases which
sparked the replacement of AutoQA. However, it is also a case where we
have to take a step or two backwards before we can start implementing
new features.

For the moment, our priority is to create a stable system which is
capable of running the same generic package-level checks that AutoQA is
running. There are a lot of moving parts involved so while we are
planning to add functionality, it seems a bit silly to plan that out
in any detail before the base system is finalized and in place.

Tim