Should /usr/bin/Xorg (still) be setuid-root?

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Wed Jan 8 23:50:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> I could have sworn there was a more recent discussion of this, but
> there is at least this thread from 2009:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2009-August/036086.html
>
> Also:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/546537/
>
> (discussion about the last revoke() discussion on linux-kernel).

*sigh*.  I'm obviously being unclear.

I am *not* proposing anything related to what uid the X server runs
under.  I'm proposing that, when a nonroot user types "Xorg" at the
terminal, they don't cause a root-privileged X server to appear.

Since I doubt that many people run Xorg directly (unless they're up to
no good), this should have no observable effect.

--Andy