dnf versus yum

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jan 9 23:58:47 UTC 2014

Chris Adams wrote:
> The rescue kernel is another option, right there on the boot menu; if
> you actually removed all running kernels, it would be the _only_ Fedora
> option (and the only option at all on a system without multiple OSes
> installed, so booted by default).

Not going to happen here, I use the nohostonly and norescue options to
disable that nonsense "feature".

So removing all kernels will not only make the system unbootable for the
lack of a kernel, but also leave grub.cfg with no kernel listed at all, and
thus grubby without a template to write new kernel entries from, ergo I
would not only have to reinstall the kernel from a rescue environment, but
also manually fix grub.cfg! (Maybe grub2-mkconfig would be sufficient for
that purpose these days though. In GRUB 1 days, it meant having to write the
entry by hand!)

        Kevin Kofler