dnf versus yum

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Fri Jan 10 15:04:59 UTC 2014

On 01/09/2014 07:23 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 09.01.2014 22:16, schrieb Przemek Klosowski:
>> By the way, currently the protected list seems to be  'yum, systemd and running kernel'.
>> I don't have a system to try it on
> what about the machine you sitting in front of?
> without -y flag yum asks if you mean your input serious
OK, I just wasn't not man enough to try it :). I was planning to set up
a test machine to check it but didn't have time yet.

>> so I just hope that one can't delete their dependencies either (glibc? what else?)
> if you think one second about dependencies are solved you know what happens
Obviously, glibc is a dependence of pretty much everything---my point
was that there are many other implicit and explicit dependencies. For
instance, the entire /boot/grub2/i386-pc directory, which is not owned
by any package but originates from grub.

>> I think you can still brick the system with careless yum erases: for instance, deleting grub
> how would this delete the bootloader in the MBR?
> you do not need the grub-package installed to have a bootloader
MBR is just first stage loader---not enough to bring up the system,
necessarily. This is tricky: the second stage is owned by grub2 in
/usr/lib/grub, and somehow transferred to /boot/grub2 but I am not sure
how---the files in /boot/grub2/i386-pc are not owned by any package, so
I think you're right that removing grub would not disable the system.
Again, I am not man enough to try it on my work desktop.