dnf versus yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 10 15:56:04 UTC 2014

Am 10.01.2014 16:49, schrieb Dridi Boukelmoune:
> I actually remember a comparison matrix of OpenSolaris forks, some of
> them chose /rpm5?/ for package management, but I can't find a link.
>
> I do understand why people would want such features built-in, but it
> seems a bit short-sighted. And by short-sighted I don't mean a bad
> idea, I mean restricted to Fedora/RHEL and very close distributions. I
> don't know yum's goals, but the man page yum(8) and the faq don''t
> seem to mention any tight coupling to rhel-like linux distribution.
> Again, I'm not saying this would be a bad thing. AFAICT yum is tied
> *by essence* to rhel, but I'm also wondering what upstream thinks
> about portability, because the whole kernel issue is a portability no-no

in that case the approach to have it as plugin is absolutely fine

* but this plugin should be available at the same time YUM is replaced by DNF
* it should be in the default install

I only have a problem with "*could* be implemented" while try to
replace something which *has* it implemented, this would be a
step backwards from the users point of view insteda a improvement

not more, not less