acceptability of updates-testing breakage vs. rawhide breakage

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 19:37:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 00:49 +0900, Mamoru TASAKA wrote:
> Chuck Anderson wrote, at 01/10/2014 11:56 PM +9:00:
> >>
> >> Eh, I'd suggest not. updates-testing is actually explicitly meant as a
> >> place to catch this kind of problem, whereas we're trying to keep
> >> Rawhide rolling and especially try not to break nightly image
> >> generation. At least we can vote broken things in updates-testing down.
> >
> > Wow, really?  updates-testing is allowed to be more broken than
> > rawhide?  So why don't we just do all development in updates-testing,
> > and don't push these changes to rawhide until they pass the
> > updates-testing karma?
> >
> > This is not how I understand these things should work.  I think this
> > attitude will push even fewer people to run with updates-testing
> > enabled.
> >

> Exactly.  Such possibly-breaking tests must be done on rawhide first,
> not after on testing on stable branch,
> and at least the package maintainer must get confident that enough tests are
> done on rawhide before pushing such packages into testing on stable branch.
> That testing on stable branch is more broken than rawhide is not Fedora users
> or developers expect.

Things don't really work out this neatly in practice. Most packages
diverge between rawhide and stable at some point. Especially a change
like the one under discussion doesn't necessarily work fine in one
branch just because it did in another.

I was just disagreeing with Chuck's belief that it's massively worse to
cause a relatively minor problem - it's not like this broke anyone's
system - in updates-testing than in Rawhide. I don't see a major
difference, really.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey