Livecd-creator is disabling selinux

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Sat Jan 11 01:31:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:35:59 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 17:33 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > El Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:26:38 -0800
> > Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> escribió:

> > > Because live images don't work properly if it's either disabled or
> > > enforcing while the image is being generated. Why *that* is I
> > > don't know, but before bcl made the livecd-creator script do
> > > this, we just had a bit in the livecd-creator instructions which
> > > said "you have to run setenforce Permissive before starting to
> > > build a live image".
> > >
> > > If you try building a live image with SELinux either disabled or
> > > enforcing on the build host, you wind up either with a compose
> > > that fails, or an image that can't be booted in enforcing mode.
> >
> > Adam this is not true, All Offical Fedora images for years were
> > built on hosts with selinux disabled. F20 was the first time images
> > were built with the host in permissive mode, but then they are
> > built in a mock chroot which has selinux disabled in the chroot
>
> Hum, I'm sure back before the script tried to take care of it for you,
> I'd had multiple failures with both 'enforcing' and 'disabled'. But if
> you say so...

I've also run into problems with livecd-creator and was told the same
thing: for best results, run with SELinux in permissive mode - not
disabled and not enforcing.

It was a while ago but I don't think that it was something I hit for
every build. This leads me to suspect that whatever the issue is, it
doesn't happen every time and the releng setup must be able to avoid
whatever it is that people can (and do) hit with SELinux disabled or
enforcing.

Also, I think that until F20 releng was building livecds in mock
chroots on el boxes (dennis, please correct me if I'm wrong) where both
you and I were building livecds on fedora installs.

Tim