Inter-WG coordination: Stable application runtimes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 00:37:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 19:43 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 12.01.2014 19:39, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> > Have you looked at what people are installing on Fedora lately? Have you
> > looked at how much PHP stuff there is out there vs. what we have
> > packaged 'properly'? Java? Ruby? Do you know anyone who deploys
> > Wordpress plugins via distribution packages?
>
> that has other reasons
>
> on a typical webserver you have not *the* wordpress and *the* wordpress
> plugins - you have 10,20,30,100,500 *independent* wordpress setups
>
> for production the only case where you can use distribution packages
> is if you have a dedicated machines / VM serving only one website

Sure, but that just backs up my point further. Even in the case where
you have an 'appliance' style setup, you _can_ use distro packages, but
why would you bother? If it's a single-purpose system then you don't get
much benefit from doing so. Does RH base pre-rolled openshift gears on
Fedora or RHEL distribution packages? I don't think so.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey