Inter-WG coordination: Stable application runtimes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 14 10:19:06 UTC 2014

Am 14.01.2014 10:50, schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> Le Dim 12 janvier 2014 19:43, Reindl Harald a écrit :
>>

>> Am 12.01.2014 19:39, schrieb Adam Williamson:
>>> Have you looked at what people are installing on Fedora lately? Have you
>>> looked at how much PHP stuff there is out there vs. what we have
>>> packaged 'properly'? Java? Ruby? Do you know anyone who deploys
>>> Wordpress plugins via distribution packages?
>>
>> that has other reasons
>>
>> on a typical webserver you have not *the* wordpress and *the* wordpress
>> plugins - you have 10,20,30,100,500 *independent* wordpress setups
>
> And that's only because vm and container systems are taking time to mature.
>
> On a containerized infra with deduping storage the easiest setup will be
> to run single-site containers and stop worrying how all the instances
> interact with each other.

this may be a solution for *some* environments
but it will never be *the* solution

my daily job is develop and deploy web-applications, keep
them up-to-date and maintain the servers - only over my
dead body i would start wrap more and more layers on top
of already virtualized infrastructures

one part of this all is having a central web-interface for
configure the vhosts, link them to the billing and so on