Firefox Gtk3 test package

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 14 15:04:05 UTC 2014

Am 14.01.2014 15:59, schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:49:05AM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> H. Guémar wrote:
>>> What's the point ? There's absolutely no benefit in keeping Gtk+2 longer.
>>> Gtk+ 2.24.0 has been released 3 years ago (january, 2011) and is only receiving
>>> bugfix due to existing apps who didn't move to Gtk+3.
>>> By migrating more apps, we can drop Gtk+ 2.24 (at least from images), firefox is
>>> one of the major application that prevents us to do so.
>>
>> You'll never (in the foreseeable future) be able to drop GTK2.
>> Firefox will still need it to run NSAPI plugins.
>
> In fact Fedora still ships GTK *1*. If we can't even get rid of GTK1,
> then talk of killing GTK2 seems wildly over optimistic

yes, because nobody cared about to migrate whatever packages
to GTK2 and that is why it's good to not repeat that and
think about how to get rid of GTK2 on a long way

what packages require GTK1, are they maintained?

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ rpm -qa | grep gtk | wc -l
12

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ rpm -qa | grep gtk
gtk2-2.24.22-2.fc20.x86_64
gtkmm24-2.24.4-2.fc20.x86_64
gtkspell-2.0.16-7.fc20.x86_64
oxygen-gtk2-1.4.1-1.fc20.x86_64