GIT development branches for packagers?

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Tue Jan 14 20:41:42 UTC 2014

I have some trivial cleanups I want to make to a package a maintain.
These cleanups are trivial enough that I don't think they're worth a
new build.  Should I commit them to the master branch?  If so, I can
imagine a couple of issues:

 - A provenpackager could kick off a rebuild for whatever reason (e.g.
dependency soname bump).  That will (I think) inadvertently include my
changes.
 - I need to think about whether to add a changelog entry or not.  If
not, those changes might be included silently.  If yes, then I need to
think about what to do about the revision number.

The normal GIT approach would be to develop on another branch and to
merge when I want to build a new revision (the Fedora equivalent of
tagging a new release).  Should Fedora provide branches like
master-devel, f20-devel, etc that store pending changes?

Am I missing something really obvious here?

--Andy