GIT development branches for packagers?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 20:59:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 12:41 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> I have some trivial cleanups I want to make to a package a maintain.
> These cleanups are trivial enough that I don't think they're worth a
> new build.  Should I commit them to the master branch?  If so, I can
> imagine a couple of issues:
>
>  - A provenpackager could kick off a rebuild for whatever reason (e.g.
> dependency soname bump).  That will (I think) inadvertently include my
> changes.

Yes, this will happen. Why do you think it's a problem, though? If your
changes are correct but you just don't think it's worth doing a new
build simply for them, why is it a problem if they get pulled in when
someone does another build for some *other* (presumably appropriate)
reason? It would seem like that's just what you'd want to happen.

>  - I need to think about whether to add a changelog entry or not.  If
> not, those changes might be included silently.  If yes, then I need to
> think about what to do about the revision number.

One thing I've seen done is to add the line that actually describes the
change, above the last date/builder/NEVR line, *without* adding a new
line identifying the new build, date and builder. That way when someone
comes along and does a new build, they ought to see what should happen -
they should roll your partial entry into the entry they add for the
build.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey