GIT development branches for packagers?

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 13:16:29 UTC 2014

Dne 14.1.2014 21:41, Andrew Lutomirski napsal(a):
> I have some trivial cleanups I want to make to a package a maintain.
> These cleanups are trivial enough that I don't think they're worth a
> new build.  Should I commit them to the master branch?  If so, I can
> imagine a couple of issues:
>
>  - A provenpackager could kick off a rebuild for whatever reason (e.g.
> dependency soname bump).  That will (I think) inadvertently include my
> changes.
>  - I need to think about whether to add a changelog entry or not.  If
> not, those changes might be included silently.  If yes, then I need to
> think about what to do about the revision number.
>
> The normal GIT approach would be to develop on another branch and to
> merge when I want to build a new revision (the Fedora equivalent of
> tagging a new release).  Should Fedora provide branches like
> master-devel, f20-devel, etc that store pending changes?
>
> Am I missing something really obvious here?
>
> --Andy

Actually I'd really love to see some possibility for private branches.
Now, it is possible to push whatever branch (take it literally) you have
in your local git repo into dist-git, but there is no way how to delete
it by myself.

For example, I am using branches to keep my .spec file aligned with
upstream development and I'd like to share it with other maintainers.
But this .spec file should never build in Rawhide unless it is approved
by FESCo.

Could you please add support for private branches? I.e. the branch which
starts by private- prefix could be pushed and deleted as well, non ff
commit should be allowed. Actually, better would be if only master, fxx
and elx are protected and others are unrestricted, but I am probably
asking too much.

Vít