adam's grump of the day: icons in fonts (was Re: web-assets-httpd stuck in limbo?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jan 16 17:37:09 UTC 2014

Le Jeu 16 janvier 2014 18:13, Adam Williamson a écrit :
> On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 10:52 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> > While we're doing asides, that one *does* get right on my nerves.
>> >
>> > If anyone overrides font choices in their browser config and wonders
>> why
>> > an increasing number of sites - inc. github, and the wordpress admin
>> > interface - seem to display weird hieroglyphs all over the place, it's
>> > because of this "clever trick": web designers have decided that it's a
>> > really good idea to abuse font rendering engines as a way to render
>> > icons, and starting shipping icons as made-up Unicode codepoints in
>> > their sites' custom fonts. If you override their font choice, then of
>> > course these icons wind up as garbage, because your font does not have
>> > them, because ICONS AREN'T FUCKING TEXT CHARACTERS, web designers.
>>
>> It makes a lot of sense, actually. At least the symbolic icons that have
>> become prevalent in our uis share a lot of characteristics with text,
>> and can benefit from getting the same treatment as glyphs.
>
> Then get the Unicode people sign off on treating your special special
> characters as text, otherwise it's just an abuse of the system.

And, actually, Microsoft did exactly that : its special UI symbols (in
Segoe UI) have all standard codepoints @unicode.org, you can use the
Microsoft font with other apps and you can make apps written around the
Microsoft font work with FLOSS fonts that implement those codepoints.

Not-unicode is only needed for vanity symbols like company logos
unicode.org would never accept.

--
Nicolas Mailhot