Fedora 18 End of Life

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 16 17:44:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:33:48 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> If someone else uses GPLed binaries from a COPR repo and fulfills
> their source obligations by pointing to the repository we host, it's
> technically their problem if our repository goes away, but it would
> be a friendly gesture to at least keep the source RPMs around.

s/uses/redistributes/ :)

If you are redistributing stuff from there, I would really hope you
would also distribute or at least have a copy of the src.rpm.

Also, note that not everything in coprs is GPLed... They can be any
acceptable for Fedora license.

> We keep them forever, yes. Mirrors can do what they want, of course,
> but many carry everything that we do on the main mirror. (This is
> less work than figuring out what to carry, and it's not that much
> disk space in this day and age.) Older releases stay in the main
> mirrors for some period of time even after EOL, and then eventually
> are moved off to https://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/,
> which as you see goes back to Fedora Core 1.
>
> Now, one thing we don't keep are all of the updates. I believe these
> are actually retained internally in koji (although I think because we
> can, not necessarily by policy), but they vanish from the
> repositories -- both mirror network and archive -- so reproducing the
> exact build environment may be difficult / annoying.

We do keep all updates too on archive. :)

As a counter point: we don't have any requirement for
repos.fedorapeople.org folks to keep all packages around forever (and
in fact we have quotas that make that a dis-encentive).

I'll also note that keeping all packages we produce means our koji
storage is currently about 17TB, making it difficult to backup or move
around. Do we really want to "be nice" and require all coprs be kept
forever too, even though we don't have a requirement there to do so?

I'd personally say no.

My suggestion:

- at eol disable the eol'ed distro buildroots
- at some months later, cull those builds.

kevin