GIT development branches for packagers?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 18:15:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 11:29 +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Út, 2014-01-14 at 13:13 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Yes, this will happen. Why do you think it's a problem, though? If your
> > > changes are correct but you just don't think it's worth doing a new
> > > build simply for them, why is it a problem if they get pulled in when
> > > someone does another build for some *other* (presumably appropriate)
> > > reason? It would seem like that's just what you'd want to happen.
> >
> > Depends how well I've tested.  I'd like to imagine that I never commit
> > anything broken anywhere, but this is empirically incorrect -- I break
> > development branches on a semi-regular basis.  I guess I'll just have
> > to be more cautious w/ Fedora :)

> > > One thing I've seen done is to add the line that actually describes the
> > > change, above the last date/builder/NEVR line, *without* adding a new
> > > line identifying the new build, date and builder. That way when someone
> > > comes along and does a new build, they ought to see what should happen -
> > > they should roll your partial entry into the entry they add for the
> > > build.
> >
> > That would work.
>
> I'd recommend rather the approach suggested by Kevin. Bump the release
> and include a regular changelog entry. Just do not build. There is no
> rule that all changeloged entries must be really built.

I have found this kind of phantom release a bit annoying in some really
esoteric situations - when the changelog indicates that there was, say,
a 1.2-6 build, but there never was, only 1.2-5 and 1.2-7 - but most of
the time it's not going to be a problem, yeah.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey