NetworkManager Bridges in Fedora

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 21:34:26 UTC 2014

On 16/01/14 15:38, Dan Williams wrote:
>> I bet ya the hang has something to do with these messages:
>> >
>> >    <info> (bridge0): IPv4 config waiting until carrier is on
>> >    <info> (bridge0): IPv6 config waiting until carrier is on
>> >    <info> Activation (bridge0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
>> >
>> > What carrier is it waiting on? em1 is already up and running...
> So what's happening here is that you two
> configurations/connections/profiles that apply to em1: "ifcfg-em1", and
> "ifcfg-bridge0_slave_1".  And "ifcfg-em1" is getting chosen, but it's
> not a bridge slave configuration, it's just a normal DHCP configuration.
>
> Since "ifcfg-em1" is not a bridge slave configuration, it never gets
> added to the bridge master, and the bridge master sits around waiting
> for slaves because it has no carrier which is required for DHCP.
Ah... this makes sense...

> Persistent fix #1:
> edit ifcfg-em1 and change ONBOOT=yes to ONBOOT=no
> nmcli con reload
> then do "Runtime fix" below
This worked...

> Persistent fix #2:
> rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1
> nmcli con reload
> then do "Runtime fix" below
>
> (or use nm-connection-editor to delete 'em1' or uncheck "Connect
> automatically" from the General tab.)
So whatthis is telling me is after I configure a bridge
with setup/networks, I should used nm-connection-editor
to turn off the "Automatically connect to this network"
button, correct?

Too bad we can do that from the setup/networks GUI...
Or when the bridge is create turning of the  automatic
boot on the bridged interface  should be done automagically??

> Runtime fix (not persistent):
> nmcli dev disconnect em1
> nmcli con up "bridge0 slave 1"
So nmcli basically replaces ifup/ifdown... Good to know...

> ------
> (In old "network" service speak, the runtime operation would be:
>
> ifdown em1
> ifup bridge0_slave_1
>
> and we still expect these commands to work even when NetworkManager is
> managing the interface.)
> ------
Again... Good to know!

Thank you very much!!