RFC: what to do with ums when the X server is not suid root ?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Jan 20 14:18:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:08:01AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> So now it is time to start looking into some of the corner cases, or rather at
> the elephant in the room. What about non-kms drivers. We still have the vesa
> driver around as most prominent example, and this is useful for some oddball
> cards and for cards which are too new.

-mga is probably also still relevant in some small number of cases. We
can probably kill -cirrus. That would leave -openchrome, which I think
is probably only really relevant for OLPC? What's the situation with the
binary nvidia and amd drivers?

> I would like to not break the vesa driver, while still killing the suid bit on
> the X server.

It's probably worth considering whether porting uvesafb to kms would be
worthwhile, and then just using -modesetting.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org