RPMbuild mystery parameters "--with" and "--without"

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Jan 20 15:01:45 UTC 2014

See http://rpm.org/wiki/PackagerDocs/ConditionalBuilds

> According to the Packaging Guidelines we're not supposed to use those
> parameters when building "the source RPM to be submitted", because they
> somehow get "serialized" into the source package. I don't understand
> this, because I don't submit any source packages. The source package
> gets built on a Koji server when I run "fedpkg build", and I don't know
> of a way to pass any options to that process.

I guess you'd be referring to this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Conditional_dependencies

Its a rather complicated way of saying that Fedora packages must have
their Fedora defaults for with/without set in the spec, ie rebuilding
the package must not require any command-line switches.

	- Panu -