RPMbuild mystery parameters "--with" and "--without"

Alek Paunov alex at declera.com
Mon Jan 20 17:31:48 UTC 2014

On 20.01.2014 16:24, Björn Persson wrote:
> According to the Packaging Guidelines we're not supposed to use those
> parameters when building "the source RPM to be submitted", because they
> somehow get "serialized" into the source package. I don't understand
> this, because I don't submit any source packages. The source package
> gets built on a Koji server when I run "fedpkg build", and I don't know
> of a way to pass any options to that process.

IMHO, an example of reasonable usage of this RPM facility in the current
context is the samba.spec:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/samba.git/plain/samba.spec

It defines --with testsuite, which is not supposed for real binary
packages production. Instead, it builds the full Samba (with the AD bits
enabled) and performs the whole testsuite on top of the test build.

Kind regards,
Alek

P.S. Fedora .spec provided Samba AD works very well for me. If someone
is interested to deploy Samba AD on Fedora 20, and is aware of MIT vs.
Heimdal Kerberos caveats _or_ are used with deployment in isolation
(dedicated instance, container) there are couple of COPR RPMs available:
http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/decalek/samba.dc/