RPMbuild mystery parameters "--with" and "--without"

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Jan 20 18:16:43 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 07:31 PM, Alek Paunov wrote:
> On 20.01.2014 16:24, Björn Persson wrote:
>> According to the Packaging Guidelines we're not supposed to use those
>> parameters when building "the source RPM to be submitted", because they
>> somehow get "serialized" into the source package. I don't understand
>> this, because I don't submit any source packages. The source package
>> gets built on a Koji server when I run "fedpkg build", and I don't know
>> of a way to pass any options to that process.
>>

> IMHO, an example of reasonable usage of this RPM facility in the current
> context is the samba.spec:
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/samba.git/plain/samba.spec
>
> It defines --with testsuite, which is not supposed for real binary
> packages production. Instead, it builds the full Samba (with the AD bits
> enabled) and performs the whole testsuite on top of the test build.

The samba.spec is a bit convoluted for a simple example of the bcond
usage as it has a zillion other unrelated but confusingly similar
self-defined _with_foo macros and conditions based on them.

There are quite a few packages which use bcond, for example this is a
more straightforward as an example:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mutt.git/plain/mutt.spec

	- Panu -