NetworkManager Bridges in Fedora

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Jan 21 08:13:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:18:18PM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> My old notes at
> https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/TUSKpub/Configure+Pair+Bonding,+VLANs,+and+Bridges+for+KVM+Hypervisor
> were pretty good.
>
> If you want stable KVM bridging, pair bonding, jumbo frames, or
> consistent network connections of any sort for server  grade
> installations, my urgent advice is to rip NetworkManager out by the
> routes. It provides no useful benefit for a stable server environment,
> and is actively destabilizing because it rewrite and overwrites
> network configurations inconsistently, and in ways that are not
> "idempotent": the same steps executed two times in a row do not
> produce the same results, and only approach consistency thorugh a sort
> of "Newtonian approximation" eventually, but only eventually,
> publishing a vaguely stable configuration.

  Did you file bugs for those?  Or added you to CC of existing ones,
if there are any?  Your use cases won't get fixed if noone knows what
exactly doesn't work for you.

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray