RFC: what to do with ums when the X server is not suid root ?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jan 21 10:53:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21.01.14 09:26, Hans de Goede (hdegoede at redhat.com) wrote:

> Probably. TBH I'm not that interested in the binary drivers I know the nvidia one
> is actually quite decent and it has a lot of users. So I don't want to break them,
> but beyond that my interest stops. I assume they are still not exporting any kms
> API to userspace, so the helper I've in mind should just launch X as root for them
> and then things should just keep working. I know lots of shoulds ...

I never used that closed source crap myself, but I just wanted to
mention that some Suse folks did some work on logind to do ACL
management for the nvidia device nodes even though these device nodes do
not appear in the Linux device model as used by udev (simply because the
device model is only available to free code). Not sure if this fixes the
whole problem, but there's at least a way to manage access to some
nvidia bits for unprivileged userspace.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat