Best Practices for Django App Packaging

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Tue Jan 21 14:45:30 UTC 2014

While I've been packaging Python apps for Fedora for a long time, I'm a
complete novice to Django.  I've just completed my first app (using the
built-in development server) and now want to get it packaged.  Thus far
I've followed my normal model of using setuptools so that everything very
cleanly lands in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/my_package.  My Django
app is under there, along with other related Python modules that are used
independently of the Django app.

I'm not finding any docs in the Fedora package guidelines and am unaware
of existing packages that might serve as excellent examples.  My web
searches are turning up lots, but nothing much specific to Fedora.

At the moment, I'm particularly struggling with how to make my
/etc/httpd/conf.d/myapp.conf point to my
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/my_package/my_site/wsgi.py in a good
generic RPM spec sense.  I'd rather not hard-code the Python version in
myapp.conf.

John Florian