Fedora Server PRD Draft and call for participation

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 21:02:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh at redhat.com) said:
>> The first deliverable that the Fedora Server Working Group was tasked
>> with was the production of a Product Requirements Document. This
>> document is intended to provide a high-level view of the goals and
>> primary deliverables of the Fedora Server distribution. A great deal
>> of discussion has gone on during the weekly Working Group meetings as
>> well as on the mailing list.
>
> Admittedly late, but...
>
> Vision
>
> Fedora Server is the preferred [community] platform for system
> administrators and developers seeking to deploy applications and services
> that use the latest technology on a stable foundation with effective
> resource utilization.
>
> How does this differentiate from the market position of CentOS (community
> platform for deploying apps and services on a stable platform)? Do we care
> if it doesn't?

      I always thought that

Fedora:
o bleeding edge, where new stuff comes
o new programs/kernels/drivers
o Expect things might not be work or last
o Versions change as fast as in ubuntu, if not faster
o Trendsetter for RHES and CentOS

RHES:
o Takes stuff that can be used in servers that survived baptism of
fire in Fedora
o Long term FTW!
o Slow changes, more security and patches

CentOS:
o Very very close to RHES, but by design 6 months behind it
o Open support, open community like Fedora
o More server related like RHES