What to do about packaging beta, or rc as alternate installable

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 00:33:40 UTC 2014

One of the packages I maintain is mercurial.  Frequently (e.g., now), there
is a rc version available for test.  It will probably break some other package
that depends on it.

I am thinking of a model like google uses for chrome.  I could install any of:

google-chrome-{stable,beta,unstable}

I don't think fedora uses this model anywhere.  AFAICT, in Fedora there is
always only 1 version available - although there could be one in updates-
testing.  But the purpose of updates-testing is now for a long-lived parallel
development - it is designed for short term before promotion to stable.

Although the google-chrome model is perhaps not the ideal way to handle the
idea of alternative versions - it seems good enough.

Any thoughts?